Did you know that sweet potato is a good source of magnesium a.k.a. the anti-stress mineral? In other words, after a long day at work just treat yourself to a sweet potato. While you are at it, try this savoury chicken-stuffed sweet potato recipe.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound lean ground chicken
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 knorr cube*
- 1/2 small tomato – diced
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons low fat mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1 oven tray
- 1 small sauté pan
- 1 medium bowl
- Spring onions (for garnishing – optional)
- Wash the potato and dry thoroughly with a paper towel. Use a fork to poke multiple holes in the potato.
- Preheat oven to 450F and line oven tray with aluminum foil. Place potato on tray and bake on either side for 40 minutes each (30 minutes each if the sweet potato is small like the size of your palm). Take out of the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in small pan and sauté ground chicken on high heat. Season with knorr cube.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes till onions become tender.
- Add spinach and stir to combine then take off heat.
- Cut potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides into a medium sized bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork and combine with chicken.
- Refill the skins with the mixture, sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese over it and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped spring onions for garnishing and serve hot.
Low fat mozzarella may be substituted with other low-fat options like Feta or not used at all.
*Since seasoning cube is high in sodium, reducing its intake, or eliminating it from the diet, may help improve your health. Read our seasoning cube feature here.